PAPER MILL, South Moreton

A forum to discuss and ask questions on buildings that are or were in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Grace

Postby Grace » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 am

Can any one tell when the Paper Mill at South Moreton ceased production, who owned it or any other information about it, perhaps where I might find this information ?
My interest comes about from my family history research but I can't find anything about it after 1868.

Thanks in advance,
Grace

PhilW

Postby PhilW » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Have you tried asking the Mills Archive?
www.millarchive.com

johnstone49

Postby johnstone49 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Dear Grace
PAPER MILL GEN
http://www.berkshirehistory.com/village ... reton.html
Industry in South Moreton has always been largely based on agriculture, particularly sheep farming. The local farmers used to drive all their flocks into the Tibbald Brook, on the parish boundary, for dipping. There were both paper and corn mills, one of which is mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086). The latter's mill house was used as a hospital during a smallpox epidemic in 1799! Unfortunately the mill was burnt down in 1825.
johnstone49@johnstone49.plus.com

ilokin

Re: PAPER MILL, South Moreton

Postby ilokin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 am

Hello Grace, the paper mill may have been owned or run by a Mr Evans who also had something to do with the corn mill.
I have a copy of a letter from an ancestor of mine (Thomas Wright) to his sweetheart (Mary Anne Giles Sadgrove) where he mentions being asked to work for Mr Evans. He states that he will work at the paper mill but doesn't want to work at the corn mill. The letter was sent from Whychbold paper mill and was written in 1824;
hope this is of some interest to you,
regards, Ilona

Return to “Buildings in Berkshire”