Yattendon Court Estate, 1920-21

To discuss and ask questions on places within Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
drpmc66

Yattendon Court Estate, 1920-21

Postby drpmc66 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Yattendon Court Estate

I would be grateful to receive any suggestions for any sources or further reading relating to Yattendon Court Estate at the beginning of the 1920s.

I am researching a biography of a man – Jorian E.F. Jenks – who was a farm bailiff (farm manager in present day terms) on the estate. As it was his first appointment – he was fresh out of Harper Adam’s Agricultural College – he may have been a trainee. He started there in 1920 and then lost his job in 1921, due to the slump that followed the end of the Great War and the repeal of the Corn Production Act.

I’d like to find anything I can about the life of the Estate at the time and also about the likely date and circumstances whereby Jenks lost his job.

With thanks,

Philip Coupland

Return to “Places in Berkshire”