Ranikhet Camp

To discuss and ask questions on places within Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

Toutley Hall

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 am

Can you give me any information about Toutley Hall, Old Forrest Road Wokingham

Contributor

Ranikhet Camp

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 am

Ranikhet Primary School - built on the site of the old army camp, has now twinned with the Ranikhet School and Camp in India. We are looking to hold a reunion for soldiers who new either Ranikhet England or Ranikhet India. Please feel free to get in touch with us at School. I am the headteacher and would be happy to speak with you

Contributor

Ranikhet Camp

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 am

I worked at Ranikhet Camp, Tilehurst from 1955 to 1961. I was a civilian working on the Pay Accounts of the R.Sigs. Most of the soldiers stationed there were doing their National Service. The land which housed the camp was handed back to the owners in the 1960s. It was land requishioned during WW2.Access was up Norcot Road to Honey End Lane,the white houses on the left going up the hill were officers married quarters.The Dee Road mentioned was used, when the RAPC were there, as the Practice Firing Range. I meet my husband of 48 years while he was stationed at Ranikhet. Pat Rolt (nee Anderson)

Derekd

Ranikhet Camp

Postby Derekd » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:13 pm

I was a National Serviceman in the RAPC stationed at Ranikhet Camp from April 1954 to January 1956. It was the Regimental Pay Office of the Royal Signals and I worked as a machine operator (Burroughs No 9 Simplex) where a majority of the staff were civilian females with the section led by Kit Collier, others I remembered were Sheila Herlihy and May Butcher, Daphne Taylor and Carol ? , I visited the area in the 60s when the housing estate was being built and when the gymnasium at the entrance was still standing, later demolished. The camp was not very secure with gaps in the wire surrounding it and the guards on duty at night were carrying pick helves but with orders not to use them! While I was at the camp the IRA made a successful raid on the REME Arborfield making off with weapons. When the news broke the guard at Ranikhet Camp was doubled and then issued with rifles and live rounds for a period afterwards.

I did meet John Woodburn in recent years who was a civilian at the camp and a prolific cyclist, who is still successfully racing now aged about 70. We sat next to each other at a cycling club dinner by chance.

The unit did have a church parade once a year at Tilehurst probably on Remembrance Sunday. I'm afraid I do not remember a soldier named Rolt. I do still have a battered photo of all the military personnel of the camp taken in 1956, I believe, which includes the then largest soldier in the British Army, all 28 stone or so of him.

Hope this is of interest.

Pat and John Rolt

Ranikhet Camp

Postby Pat and John Rolt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I am trying to remember who you are Derek. We must have worked together in the Machine Room as I started at Ranikhet in 1955. Tony Rainbird and I were on the same course in Devizes and returned to the Machine Room directly afterwards. Why not email me would love to mull over old times and you might be able to jog my memory! Remember well Kit Collier, May Busher and Sheila Herlihy along with Doreen Blackwood, Kay Ruddle and Pam Best. You would not remember John Rolt as he did not arrive at Ranikhet until 1957. Were you there when the RAPC were the Guard of Honour for the Queen when she visited Reading? Ah I remember it well! Do hope you can find some way of getting in touch. Pat Anderson Rolt.

Derekd

Ranikhet Camp

Postby Derekd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Many thanks for your reply, the webmaster is going to let you have my email address. In the meantime, I'd just like to say how many memories your item evoked. My name is Derek Duchemin and,although I worked in the Machine Room when first posted to Ranikhet Camp, I did work on Manual Control, sat just outside the Machine Room, next to SQDB where Oscar, an elderly civilian used to repair watches when he wasn't working! I remember Pam Best, I believe, didn't she have a motor bike? I used to have one also on camp so we had something in common.

I was in a guard of honour, but for the Queen Mother, when she came to open the then new Technical College, on Oxford Road in '54 or '55.

Anyway, we can continue reminiscences outside this message board when you contact my e-mail address.

Best wishes

Derek Duchemin

Return to “Places in Berkshire”