Newbury pubs in the late 60s

A forum to discuss and ask questions on buildings that are or were in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 am

Hello,could anyone tell me the number of pubs that were licenced at that time. I'm under the impression there were over fifty. I moved to Newbury in 1969 from London,and was the landlord(tennant) of one in the town, "The King Charles" for ten years.

PhilW

Postby PhilW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:00 am

The revamp of the BLAH queries into a forum is welcome - but has resulted in the loss of some information, not least the date of the original query. So here's hoping you get to read this response.

I did respond before with a failed attempt to list Newbury's pubs from 1969 - the failure was down to a limitation of the response form, the list was simply too long to fit the form. It seems to be okay now! There are 42 on the list - not quite 50.

I am guessing that the query came from Anthony Burgess (landlord of the KC 1969 tp 1978 or thereabouts? I am currently researching the history of Newbury's pubs and would love to hear from someone who must have known the local trade very well.

Many of the listed pubs have since disappeared, others have been started up - but the nett result is a significant drop in the number of pubs. However, the King Charles has survived - had a pint there a couple of days back.

1969 (Kelly's Directory of Newbury)
Adam & Eve
Anchor
Bacon Arms
Blue Ball
Borough Arms
Bricklayer's Arms
Castle Tavern
Catherine Wheel
Chequers
Clocktower
*censored*
Cooper's Arms
Cross Keys
Derby Arms
Dolphin
Drummers
Globe
Gun
Hatchet Steak House
King Charles Tavern
Lamb
Lion
Monument
Nag's Head
Newmarket
Old Bell
Old London Apprentice
Pigeons
Plough
Queen's
Railway
Red House
Rising Sun
Robin Hood
Rokeby Arms
Rose & Crown
Star
Swan
Waggon & Horses
Wellington Arms
Wheatsheaf
White House

PhilW

Postby PhilW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:00 am

The revamp of the BLAH queries into a forum is welcome - but has resulted in the loss of some information, not least the date of the original query. So here's hoping you get to read this response.

I did respond before with a failed attempt to list Newbury's pubs from 1969 - the failure was down to a limitation of the response form, the list was simply too long to fit the form. It seems to be okay now! There are 42 on the list - not quite 50.

I am guessing that the query came from Anthony Burgess (landlord of the KC 1969 tp 1978 or thereabouts? I am currently researching the history of Newbury's pubs and would love to hear from someone who must have known the local trade very well.

Many of the listed pubs have since disappeared, others have been started up - but the nett result is a significant drop in the number of pubs. However, the King Charles has survived - had a pint there a couple of days back.

1969 (Kelly's Directory of Newbury)
Adam & Eve
Anchor
Bacon Arms
Blue Ball
Borough Arms
Bricklayer's Arms
Castle Tavern
Catherine Wheel
Chequers
Clocktower
*censored*