House called 'Hurstcroft' in Ascot

A forum to discuss and ask questions on buildings that are or were in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

House called 'Hurstcroft' in Ascot

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 am

On my great great grandparents' marriage certificate in 1885 they are recorded as being a butler and a cook and living at 'Hurstcroft' in Ascot. I know from family lore that they used to work in a big house so I assume Hurstcroft must be it. However, I can find no information about the house. I presume that it no longer exists, or at least not under that name, and cannot find any information about it. Does anyone know anything about this house, such as where it used to be? Any information would be most gratefully received.

filingclerk

Re: House called 'Hurstcroft' in Ascot

Postby filingclerk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I believe there were lots of properties with 'Hurst' in the title in the Ascot area. Can you be more specific about the location? There is Ascot, North Ascot, South Ascot - do you have any more details on the location and time period? A lot of properties had the names changed over the centuries.

polypody

Re: House called 'Hurstcroft' in Ascot

Postby polypody » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 pm

There was a house called 'Hurstleigh' in Coronation Road, South Ascot (opposite the RC Church). From the early 1950's until 1985 is was the office of Provident Life Asssociation (an insurance company). It was demolished and another office built on the site. I would imagine it was built in the late 1800's but as the previous reply stated there are a number of houses prefixed by 'Hurst' in the area.

Return to “Buildings in Berkshire”