Red Cross Home near Reading early 1950s

A forum to discuss and ask questions on buildings that are or were in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 am

In 1953 I was sent from Sheffield, after being in hospital with a collapsed lung, to a convalescent home for children, at Reading. I think it was at or near Beech Hill, or possible the home was called Beech Hill. It was a large once privately owned house, in its own grounds, in the country. Does anyone know where this was, or where I can obtain a picture of it? Thank you.

Contributor

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 pm

I have just read your enquiry the red cross home nr Reading yes you were right it was once privately owned by a family named Hunter, I know of this as was only talking to an aunt today about it. My aunt will be ninety next week, she was telling me that she went into service there as a young girl of fourteen, the Hunters went on to sell the house to the red cross, it is situated at Beech Hill nr Reading and may now be apartments.

marioncanning

Re: Red Cross Home near Reading early 1950s

Postby marioncanning » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

I lived at Thatcham, and in 1955 was taken from Royal Berks Hospital Reading, to convalescant at Beech Hill House, I remember being wrapped in an Red Cross Coat, also remember the house had shutters on the windows. It was a Children's Home to the Crothian refugees in the 1960's. I Wonder if this place still exists and is it a private resident or used for any other purpose.
I would like to know of anybody else have been there in the mid 1950's.

Return to “Buildings in Berkshire”