Jolly Farmer Pub

A forum to discuss and ask questions on buildings that are or were in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

Jolly Farmer Pub

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:45 am

From the Directory for Berkshire for 1915 I find an ancestor, Henry Thomas Storror, living at the Jolly Farmer, College Town, Sandhurst, Berkshire. He was not there in 1901 (according to that census he was a domestic footman working for the Agnew family in Pendleton) and I am having a difficult time finding him in the 1911 census so only the 1915 reference places him there. He was born 1872 Edenbridge, Kent and died 1924 Easthampstead. Perhaps his Jolly Farmer connection was fleeting but I am interested in any history around it and direction on what sources are available to research that connection. Thank you.

Contributor

Jolly Farmer Pub

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 pm

The starting point should perhaps be to check the licensing registers for the period at the Berkshire Record Office. These will give the dates your ancestor was at the Jolly Farmer. While you are there it is also worth checking the County Licensing Committee papers. These mainly refer to the closure of pubs under the compensation scheme - but also give good information on other pubs near to those being closed.

Return to “Buildings in Berkshire”