Calcot

This forum is for posting information or asking questions regarding Local History in Berkshire
Forum rules
We can offer general guidance on sources of information. However, we are unable to answer specific questions regarding genealogy or family history and suggest you contact one of the relevant local organisations by following the links from the main website.

The Berkshire Local History Association is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Contributor

Calcot

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 am

I am interested in the history of Calcot but can find very little information other than that of Calcot Manor, I had heard that some of the housing in Calcot was built for the MoD - is that something you could tell me about? I don't need a lot of information just a little background as to how Calcot has evolved over time. Thank you for your time

Contributor

Calcot

Postby Contributor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 pm

I suspect the housing you refer to was not built for the MOD but for the workforce at the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston (Minsitry of Supply?).

Estates were built in the mid to late 1950s in Basingstoke, Calcot and Newbury as well as Tadley and Baughurst just outside the AWRE site. The houses were let to workers at AWRE.

Return to “General Queries on Local History”